Can you make money by not having any? When you ask people how to make money, most will almost instantly reply: “It takes money to make money.” The genuinely believe that it is not possible to produce money out of thin air. So, does it take money to make money, or are there other parts to the formula to create wealth in your life.
In my previous article: “Creating wealth is not accidental, it is intentional” we looked at the elements of the Wealth Matrix that you can work on to create wealth in your life. Thus far it has been fundamental, concepts or ideas which make logical sense. However, I would like to make it a little bit more real for you by giving you this story:
I met my friend Israel in 2004. He was working as a security guard and seemed, well, not so driven. Day in and day out he was watching the door as people came in or went out. There was very little joy in his eyes. When I asked him how he got the security guard job I was amazed. I asked him if I could share his full story and he replied: “Yes please, let others learn from my story.” This is his story:
Israel came to the city with absolutely zero money – none whatsoever! He stayed at a friend’s house for 3 months until his friend had had enough and told him to “go get a job.” Israel found a newspaper and discovered an advertisement for a security company. The only challenge was: He had no money, so he couldn’t afford a taxi. He walked 4 hours to the interview, only to find out he was late. He walked back 4 hours and went to bed. The next morning he got up at 4am in order to get to the interview at 8am. This time he got the job. Since the company only paid salaries at the end of the month, he had to walk eight hours every day for thirty days before he received his first pay check!!
And this was how our friendship began. Israel and I talked almost daily and he asked me for my thoughts on many topics. One day he said to me: “I thought about what you have said and I am going to start my own security company.” Israel had made a choice. He communicated this to me and he took action. I advised him that I would love to show him the details of running a profitable business too, but he assured me he would be okay to figure it out on his own. We both got “busy” and we started talking less and less…
In 2008, just four years later he was employing over 50 security guards, was driving a BMW X5, and was he was loving life. The sparkle was definitely in his eyes. He thought it would be good for business if he had a car that looked like success.
However, in 2010 everything changed. He lost some contracts, had to let many people go, and the BMW was repossessed. He was down to 3 security guards and the sparkle in his eyes had faded again…
In October 2012 I spoke to Israel again. He is happy, has learnt a lot and is applying the lessons he has learnt. He currently employs 2 security people. He is working as a building manager and is using the 2 sources of income to save up money for his next business: To build a 35 unit student accommodation complex in 2013. The sparkle is back in his eyes again, but this time – he assured me – things will be different.
So what can we learn from Israel?
1. It doesn’t take money to make money. It takes the will to do better, to become better and to achieve more. For some, all it takes is to say: “Enough is enough. I choose to create a better life for me and my family.” For others, like Israel, they just need to realise that if they want to succeed, they have to make the choice and take the necessary actions. You can make that choice today if you choose.
2. It takes drive, determination, hard work and long hours. If it was easy everyone would have been successful. Successful people do what is necessary until they can see the results. Israel walked 8 hours a day for 30 days. He couldn’t have done this if he didn’t have determination. All the qualities mentioned here are character values. They help you a lot!
3. It takes the ability to learn from others. When you speak to and council with people who have already learnt from their mistakes, you can save yourself a lot of trouble, a lot of time and a lot of money.
4. It takes the ability to communicate. If you speak to people you can learn. The ability to communicate can save you a lot of time and money. It can also make you more time and money. Good communication is a key secret to creating wealth.
5. It takes the ability to rely on the advice of experts. When you speak to people about business, almost everyone has an opinion. Ensure that you continually speak to people who have a proven track record of success.
6. It takes time – about 1-3 years to change your personal situation, and about 7-10 years to run a profitable, well organised, growing and healthy business. It takes only a few weeks to register a business, but learn from one of my father’s secrets: “Anyone can start a business. Not everyone can run a profitable business.”
7. It takes skill, persistence and dedication. Once your business is up and running you have to know how to work – amongst other things – with money and with people. Either of these can sink or boost your business success. You have to continually monitor and track progress, and make adjustments as you go. (See: 50 skills that attract success)
8. Failure is part of success. It is better to fail and learn than to do nothing and wish for a better life. Many successful people have failed a number of times before they “got it right.” Just be sure to learn faster than you are making mistakes.
9. There is no luck involved. You work hard. You learn. You do the right things in the right way. But remember, you cannot succeed if you do not start. Why not start today?
10. Don’t ever give up. There is always a way as long as you have the will.
What can you do:
- Start to do something – anything is better than nothing.
- Read the articles in this website as often as you can.
- Join our Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
- Read more. Learn from these sources.
- Find your perfect job, or create it.
- Make mistakes, but learn faster.
- Challenge what you believe.
- Define your values.
Remember: Does it take money to make money? Most certainly not! I encourage you to leave a comment below that will help other people to learn more. It could be your story, a lesson you have learnt or even just a thank you. I read them all. Thank you for making a difference in your own life! Best regards, Christo.
Images courtesy of scottchan / Jeroen van Oostrom / FreeDigitalPhotos.net